Position: Special Constable – Court Officer – Permanent
Location: Wikwemikong Unceded Territory
Responsible to: Chief of Police, Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
Th Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service is accepting applications for Special Constable – Court Officer. Applicants will be required to successfully complete any additional training deemed necessary as a condition of employment. All new hires are expected to have a valid and completed OACP certificate and medical forms as per attached OACP link www.oacpcertificate.ca.
Summary: The Special Constable – Court Officer program is a great opportunity for members to learn on the job roles and responsibilities. The WTPS will be accepting applications who possess experience in the court system and will be responsible to the Chief of Police.
- Knowledge of relevant sections of legislation such as the Criminal Code, Young Offenders Act, Youth Criminal Justice Act, Family Law Act, provincial offenses and municipal by-laws to coordinate court proceedings, prepare briefs and other court documents. Knowledge of court processes, procedures, operations and scheduling to coordinate and monitor court proceedings.
- Knowledge of processes and procedures for prisoner search to conduct searches of prisoners and persons taken into custody at court proceedings. Knowledge of basic prisoner care as prescribed by policy to attend to and escort persons in custody. Knowledge of relevant sections of WHMIS and workplace safety to take DNA samples and escort prisoners.
- Knowledge of application software programs to prepare, update and maintain court-related records and to register sex offenders. Organizational skills to coordinate and track all arrangements and documentation pertaining to detachment case files being processed in court.
- Problem solving skills to assess documentation and information requirements for crown prosecutors et al, and follows up with paperwork that has not been included in crown briefs or has not been prepared, in the process of managing case files.
- Act as a liaison with services with the court and monitor the progress of files through the court system.
- Provide court security services for the detachment, the court, and to participate in the escort of offenders.
- Ensure the preparation and proper completion of all related information and documentation by uniform officers.
- Assist WTPS Officers with community’s policing and safety concerns.
- Display cultural competence when interacting with members of the community.
- Perform shift work that include weekends and holidays.
- Such other duties, not inconsistent with the above, as the Police Chief should direct.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada of at least 18 years of age.
- Post Secondary Diploma in Law and Security or related program.
- Copy of OSSD and Post-Secondary Diploma/Certificates.
- Copy of OACP Certificate, include all accompanied documents such as hearing/vision assessment, 2-week fitness log, and OACP waivers.
- Copy of valid class G Ontario Driver Licence.
- Copy of current First Aid/CPR Level C Certification.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Must have awareness of First Nation cultures and traditions.
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality a MUST.
- Be prepared to take an Oath/Affirmation of Office and Secrecy.
- Be of good moral character and habits.
- Pass a detailed background check that includes security clearance checks, credit , and reference checks.
- Documentation detail you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as approved by the Ministry of Health or have a valid exemption pursuant to the Human Rights Code.
Employment packages can be emailed to those interested. Please send in your request for an employment package to Richard Flamand, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested applicants are to forward their completed employment package, letter of interest, detailed resume, and 3 work related reference letters to:
Attention: Richard Flamand, Human Resources Manager
Deadline to apply: On-Going till Filled
Please note: All applications received will be screened for content and only those selected will be extended a personal interview.